The NSBE 47th Annual Convention will take place on April 5-9, 2021.
This guide was created to assist convention attendees with making their experience as productive and stress-free as possible. The NSBE 47th Annual Convention is packed full of virtual meetings, sessions, special events, networking opportunities, and we want to make sure you have the necessary tools and information to maximize your experience, make connections, learn and have fun.
Before the Event
The VirBELA software only works on Windows and Mac computers. We highly recommend that you confirm that your computer meets the minimum hardware and software requirements to download the NSBE Private Campus App. You will not be able to access the event on Chromebooks or mobile devices such as Android or Apple Tablets/Phones.
Attendees will receive an invitation to download the software at a later date. Those additional details are forthcoming. Until then you have an opportunity to download the demo version, create your account and personal avatar, then explore the campus to familiarize yourself with the platform. To download the software, it can take 15 – 60+ minutes.
Once you are provided with the link to download the NSBE Private Campus App, you will now be able to personalize your avatar for the convention. Do not wait until the day of to test out the platform on your computer. Take this opportunity to become familiar with how the virtual platform runs and what features you will use.
Make sure your internet connection is strong. If you experience technical difficulties while downloading NSBE Private Campus, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance.
We recommend that you check out the following trainings/guides that you will need to prepare you to navigate the NSBE Private Campus:
During the Event
The convention will take place on April 5 – 9, 2021 between the hours 11:00 am – 8:00 pm (ET). It is important that attendees plan their day by reviewing the convention agenda before the event. Planning in advance, will ensure that you do not miss out on the sessions you plan to attend. In case you miss a session, recorded events will be available for 30 days after the event.
Utilize public and private chats to share information and meet new folks.Take some time to dance on the beach (aka The Yard), drive a boat, or hang with friends on the rooftop.
Sessions are on a first-come, first-served basis. In the event that the session reaches its capacity, you may not be granted access to the event, so we highly recommend that you log in early.
If you’re in the NSBE Private Campus and need assistance, the Help Desk is located in the Welcome Area. Select a green ticket for technical support or a blue ticket for general support.
College Fair/Career Fair Information
The #NSBE47 College Fair will take place on April 7, 2021. The Career Fair is scheduled to take place on April 8 – 9, 2021. The fairs will take place in vFairs. The event will feature over a hundred organizations seeking to recruit for a variety of opportunities. You do not need to download or install any software to participate in a virtual conference; however, you need to have access to the Internet.
College Fair Hours:
- Wednesday, April 7 at 3:00 – 6:00 pm (ET)
Career Fair Hours:
- Thursday, April 8 at 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm (ET)
(12:00 – 1:00 pm APEx member access only)
- Friday, April 9 at 12:00 pm – 5:00 pm ET
You will be able to upload your resume prior to the event. To allow recruiters to easily identify your resume, we recommend using the following naming convention for your resume: Last Name_First Name_Major (Example: Smith_John_ElectricalEngineering) Attendees will use the group chat rooms in the booths to chat with the company representatives. Recruiters will have access to this information and may invite attendees for a private video, text, or audio chat.
Access to a webcam is not a requirement in order to participate. However, some people at the event might request you for a video chat, in which case, you might want to have a functional webcam and mic.
Additional information will be shared with registered attendees prior to the start of the event. We recommend that you visit the Career Fair Prep and watch the pre-recorded webinar, Mastering the Virtual Technical Interview, to prepare for the career fair.
- If you will be sharing content during the meeting, make sure you have the files and/or links ready to go on your desktop before the meeting begins.
- If you are involved in the meeting be sure to log in the meeting at least 15 minutes prior to the start time to test your video and sound.
- To help keep background noise to a minimum, be sure to mute your microphone when you are not speaking.
- A headset or earbuds are strongly recommended to reduce the possibility of echo or feedback.
- Turn off notifications, close or minimize running apps, and mute your cell phone.
- You can use the public chat to connect with other attendees. Harassment, intimidation, or discrimination in any form is STRICTLY prohibited. NSBE reserves the right to take any action deemed necessary and appropriate, including immediate removal from the meeting without warning or refund, in response to any incident of unacceptable behavior, and NSBE reserves the right to prohibit attendance at any future meeting, virtually or in person.
- You can only communicate with users who are in the same location as you. For example, if you’re in the auditorium and someone else is in the Expo Hall, you won’t be able to hear each other.
- You can hold down the 1 (one) key on your keyboard to talk if you don’t want your microphone on all the time.
- Often, problems can be resolved by restarting the app. If you can’t quit normally, try typing /exit in the chat window. This should immediately close the app.
- You can clap, shake hands and do other animations if you want! Click your name on the top left of the screen to see some of the things you can have your avatar do. This can be a fun and effective way to communicate non-verbally.
- If other users are in the same space as you, you’ll see their names in a list in the top left. To see where all the users in the Campus are, though, you can click the gear icon in the top right and then select “Find Users”.